Hoping for Captions / Subtitles | Stuff to Buy including the DVD | Forum

Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_MemberList Members

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Hoping for Captions / Subtitles
June 3, 2008
8:31 am
Avatar
New York
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
June 2, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm really excited for new Joss content, especially with Nathan Fillion.

I'm hoping that Dr. Horrible will be produced with a captioned/subtitled version, for all the deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers. If Joss is really going to help expand the market for internet shows, then one thing that has to happen is captions/subtitles. It's not expensive (heck, I would volunteer for free to produce the captions for any of Joss' digital media), and it makes internet media accessible to millions of more fans.

How likely do you think it will be for Dr. Horrible to be accessible?

~ggep

June 3, 2008
5:58 pm
Avatar
Tal
Guest

Good Guys Eat Pie said:

I'm really excited for new Joss content, especially with Nathan Fillion.

I'm hoping that Dr. Horrible will be produced with a captioned/subtitled version, for all the deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers. If Joss is really going to help expand the market for internet shows, then one thing that has to happen is captions/subtitles. It's not expensive (heck, I would volunteer for free to produce the captions for any of Joss' digital media), and it makes internet media accessible to millions of more fans.

How likely do you think it will be for Dr. Horrible to be accessible?

~ggep


You know... I think that's a great idea... I'm sure there will be subtitles on the DVD
version but I guess it may be harder with the online version - as far
as I know (and maybe I'm wrong) places like youtube don't give you the
ability to turn on/off things like captions..... but then, I doubt this
will be using youtube and maybe it's something they can build in to
whatever they're using to distribute it online.

June 5, 2008
10:28 am
Avatar
New York
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
June 2, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You know… I think that's a great idea… I'm sure there will be subtitles on the DVD
version but I guess it may be harder with the online version - as far
as I know (and maybe I'm wrong) places like youtube don't give you the
ability to turn on/off things like captions….. but then, I doubt this
will be using youtube and maybe it's something they can build in to
whatever they're using to distribute it online.


It's possible to produce on-image subtitles for youtube videos, before they are uploaded to the site.

You're right that this is unlikely to be YouTube based though. Quicktime and Flash both have the ability to produce an internet video with a button to turn captions on and off. Just look at many of the videos available on the PBS website. So I really Joss & Co. go this route.

DVD's that are produced by small production companies rarely have captioning, or even subtitles. My main fear is that because this is supposed to be a musical, someone will decide that deaf and hard-of-hearing people won't be interested. I hope I'm wrong!

~ggep

June 15, 2008
3:42 am
Avatar
Moderator
Forum Posts: 60
Member Since:
March 23, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

That sounds like a really great idea! How many Internet videos have this at the moment (that aren't on YouTube)? I've never considered it before now, but really there isn't a reason not to, is there? Except that it might simply not occur to people (sad as that is).

Do you watch The Guild at all? I know they are producing Season 1 DVDs and they might have finalised them already, but it would be worth asking about it on their forum, too (http://www.watchtheguild.com/forums/).

Felicia Day is writing Season 2 at the moment so if they haven't done subtitles this time, it would be great for them to be aware of it now so they can plan to do it next time. Even though they distribute via YouTube (among other places) there might be ways around this - even having 2 versions available would be better than not at all.

You are beholden to no man (http://worldofhiglet.blogspot.com/)
June 15, 2008
3:47 am
Avatar
Admin
Forum Posts: 222
Member Since:
March 21, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

the problem with subtitles on youtube is that you wouldn't be able to turn them off (as far as I know) if you didn't want to view them, and given how small the video screen is, it'd take up nearly the whole screen to have them large enough to read

June 15, 2008
4:21 am
Avatar
Moderator
Forum Posts: 60
Member Since:
March 23, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

There's a whole discussion about subtitling for foriegn languages on The Guild Forum which might be of interest http://www.watchtheguild.com/f.....on/page-1/

If Felicia is working on this for The Guild then chances are it'll get back to Joss. Whether it'll be ready for the proposed release date of before Comicon is anyone's guess - but we can hope!

You are beholden to no man (http://worldofhiglet.blogspot.com/)
June 15, 2008
6:22 am
Avatar
New York
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
June 2, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Admin said:

the problem with subtitles on youtube is that you wouldn't be able to turn them off (as far as I know) if you didn't want to view them, and given how small the video screen is, it'd take up nearly the whole screen to have them large enough to read


While it's true that YouTube doesn't currently have the option for turning on and off subtitle tracks, it is completely untrue that subtitles or captions would take up nearly the entire screen. For example, here's a link to a video that I produced for a contest, and it included open-captions:

Notice how unobtrusive they are. If Dr. Horrible will be released through YouTube, then it would not be difficult, expensive or time-consuming to release a version with open-captions (subtitles + sound/music descriptions), in addition to a version without them.

~ggep

June 15, 2008
6:31 am
Avatar
New York
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
June 2, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

worldofhiglet said:

That sounds like a really great idea! How many Internet videos have this at the moment (that aren't on YouTube)? I've never considered it before now, but really there isn't a reason not to, is there? Except that it might simply not occur to people (sad as that is).

Do you watch The Guild at all? I know they are producing Season 1 DVDs and they might have finalised them already, but it would be worth asking about it on their forum, too (http://www.watchtheguild.com/forums/).

Felicia Day is writing Season 2 at the moment so if they haven't done subtitles this time, it would be great for them to be aware of it now so they can plan to do it next time. Even though they distribute via YouTube (among other places) there might be ways around this - even having 2 versions available would be better than not at all.


VERY few internet videos have open captions, closed captions, or even just subtitles. The only videos I can think of that regularly feature them are shows that PBS places online. It is a very sad state of affairs, because the impending migration of tv and film content to the web is not covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act. ADA requires studios and networks to provide captions for all television shows and news broadcasts, but not for online content. It is not expensive or difficult to make captions for online videos (see the very simple example I linked to in another post of mine in this thread). Quicktime and Flash, two of the most common media formats for online video both have built-in capability for producing closed captioning.

I have not watched The Guild yet, but I will soon (I've downloaded them all in iTunes). It is nice to hear that fans are talking about subtitles for the show. I just hope they don't forget English subtitles in addition to the foreign languages!

~ggep

June 15, 2008
6:40 am
Avatar
Admin
Forum Posts: 222
Member Since:
March 21, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Good Guys Eat Pie said:


While it's true that YouTube doesn't currently have the option for turning on and off subtitle tracks, it is completely untrue that subtitles or captions would take up nearly the entire screen. For example, here's a link to a video that I produced for a contest, and it included open-captions: \">

Notice how unobtrusive they are. If Dr. Horrible will be released through YouTube, then it would not be difficult, expensive or time-consuming to release a version with open-captions (subtitles + sound/music descriptions), in addition to a version without them.

~ggep


Your video works well because there's only one person talking at any given time, I imagine a musical would have the potential to require more space.

I love the idea of a second version though ,that would appear to solve the issue and make sure it's accessible to everyone

June 15, 2008
6:41 am
Avatar
Admin
Forum Posts: 222
Member Since:
March 21, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

oh....and that was an interesting little vid too 🙂

June 15, 2008
7:41 am
Avatar
New York
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
June 2, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Admin said:


Your video works well because there's only one person talking at any given time, I imagine a musical would have the potential to require more space.

I love the idea of a second version though ,that would appear to solve the issue and make sure it's accessible to everyone


When the first Dollhouse trailer came out, I made open captions for it:

http://homepage.mac.com/perobi....._caps2.mp4

Open captions are more involved than subtitles because they identify who is speaking when they are not on-screen, or if they are multiple speakers on-screen. For this vid, I made the captions a smaller font. The video quality is poor, because that's all I could get at the time. I didn't put it on YouTube because of the copyright issues.

I read through the thread on the Guild forum about subtitling using the built-in .srt files common to many media players. It seems Felicia and her crew are aware of and interested in the feature For Dr. Horrible, though, I doubt she'll have any control over the post-production like she does with The Guild.

~ggep

June 16, 2008
1:33 pm
Avatar
Moderator
Forum Posts: 60
Member Since:
March 23, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

While Felicia won't have any direct control over the Doctor Horrible output it is likely that Joss will at least speak to her about it - The Guild was part of the inspiration for Doctor Horrible in the first place. But to see if we can find out, I've posted a question over there.

Fingers crossed!

You are beholden to no man (http://worldofhiglet.blogspot.com/)
June 17, 2008
9:15 am
Avatar
Moderator
Forum Posts: 60
Member Since:
March 23, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello! Well Felicia has replied to the post I did over at WatchTheGuild.com:

http://www.watchtheguild.com/f.....es/page-1/

\"Hi! I know that the Horrible crew were talking about subtitling and captioning, but as I am not involved in the day to day activities there, I can't confirm nor deny anything 🙂 I know some of the extras that are in the works will DEFINITELY make buying the DVD imperative!

As for the Guild DVD, we are finding it's very expensive to have the captions put in and subtitling added, so we are doing our best but we may or may not be able to include it in this self-funded pass for the DVD. Rest assured we are turning over every rock to find an affordable option!\"

So, every reason to hope....Plus, if you have any information about affordable subtitling solutions, then The Guild would love to hear about it.

You are beholden to no man (http://worldofhiglet.blogspot.com/)
July 4, 2008
10:02 am
Avatar
Oxford, Mississippi
Member of the ELE
Forum Posts: 189
Member Since:
July 3, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

For a long while, there have been codecs that include optional subtitles. Since I'm not all up-ons with whatever YouTube uses, I couldn't say if such can be encoded or not for YouTube.

If the native format does support it (not as an embedded image, but optional like DVD and TV subtitles), someone should upload a video with optional subtitles in YT's native format then rip it to see if the encoding stayed. If so, then it would be only a matter of the flash player handling it.

Still, there's the cost of embedding that stuff in professional productions.

The gamut determines the acceptible range of conditions. It's Genius' Awesome Sauce in an 8oz. glass bottle with a cork stopper.
July 24, 2008
12:25 pm
Avatar
Sweden
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 4
Member Since:
July 19, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Where are a lot of fan-created subtitles for movies and television series. Usually in SRT format, that can be loaded by mediaplayers like VLC. (See SubRip on wikipedia)

If the series would be released in an open format, anyone could create and upload subtitles in different languages.

As for YouTube. Optional texts could be added using Video Annotations.

July 28, 2008
11:39 am
Avatar
james
Guest

Good Guys Eat Pie said:

I'm really excited for new Joss content, especially with Nathan Fillion.

I'm hoping that Dr. Horrible will be produced with a captioned/subtitled version, for all the deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers. If Joss is really going to help expand the market for internet shows, then one thing that has to happen is captions/subtitles. It's not expensive (heck, I would volunteer for free to produce the captions for any of Joss' digital media), and it makes internet media accessible to millions of more fans.

How likely do you think it will be for Dr. Horrible to be accessible?

~ggep


sorry if I apear rude , but why would deaf people want to watch a musical?  Musicals are made for people who can hear the music. But I actually agree with releasing subtitled version for people ( like me) who are not from an english speaking country and find it hard to understand some of the dialogs and lyrics of the show.  all of his shows have dialogues very hard to understand without subtitles.

July 30, 2008
5:31 am
Avatar
Jeff Lipton
Guest

I posted to the Buy the DVD thread -- I\'m hoping that not just the musical is captioned, but also any Special Features. Since these don\'t fall under the ADA, most producers don\'t bother, but a few realize that we hard-of-hearing folks like to understand what they\'re commenting on. I thnak them, and I hope this gets passed to TPTB.

July 30, 2008
8:24 am
Avatar
Amber
Guest

Actually, there are plenty of deaf people who would appreciate captioning on a musical show. Some deaf people have never heard music but still enjoy watching it. There are visual aspects of music as in a live performance or musical theatre that people enjoy. Other deaf people can hear some of the music but are unable to understand spoken or sung words.  Some are late-deafened people who still enjoy music becuase they can recall past experiences with it.  Having captioning-and thus knowing the words- can make the muiscal experience complete. There are also deaf people who dont care one way or another about music. Just like some hearing people. The decision to be able to watch any show should be made by the person watching it rather than by someone who has decided (or not) to include captions with their production. As a deaf person myself, I hope I will be able to see Dr Horrible with captions. I am certain that I will enjoy it!


sorry if I apear rude , but why would deaf people want to watch a musical?  Musicals are made for people who can hear the music. But I actually agree with releasing subtitled version for people ( like me) who are not from an english speaking country and find it hard to understand some of the dialogs and lyrics of the show.  all of his shows have dialogues very hard to understand without subtitles.


July 31, 2008
1:09 pm
Avatar
New York
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
June 2, 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was just on Hulu and saw that they have the whole movie up with closed captioning!  Huzzah!

\" target="_blank">Here's the link.  🙂

~ggep~

Forum Timezone: UTC -8

Most Users Ever Online: 10

Currently Online:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 667

Members: 1805

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 9

Topics: 482

Posts: 3668

Newest Members:

Administrators: Admin: 222