Wiccan subtitles and 9780793529865 ? | Page 4 | The DVD (Spoilers allowed) | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_MemberList Members

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Wiccan subtitles and 9780793529865 ?
January 3, 2009
6:39 pm
LordKorax

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet (I can't find anything about it), but has anyone tried to decipher the small barcode on the DVD itself? It doesn't look like it's the same as the one on the case.

January 4, 2009
2:06 am
Member of the ELE
Forum Posts: 110
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Who knows about this but I can't wait to see them. I haven't been paying attention to look for them yet. XD

I am The Green Dragon I leave no trail behind. I go about my evil deeds without stressing my mind. No one has ever caught up to me as they say. Then again people fear me more and more each day.
January 6, 2009
10:02 am
Lynarii

Through much forum reading and puzzling I got all the Eggs to work and they're pretty spiff.

But what I still can't figure out is the number sequence on the back of the dvd. I'll put it here cuz I noticed it hasn't been listed in full in this forum.

I don't think it's a mathematical sequence of any kind due to the 53 jump and the returning to 13 at the end. Some over at the whedonesque theorize that it's a code corresponding to the paragraph on the dvd. That gets you :

ethanshlsaa

the popular theory is that it's a shout-out to Ethan S. the maker of the easter egg hunt (as seen in the hidden credits screen) but what's the deal with the remaining 5 letters?

while this would explain the 53 jump as there are no n's between 13 and 65 the 13 at the end still bothers me. Why jumps back to the beginning when there are so many more a's just lying around.

so my questions are:

what is the hlsaa? (provided this is the right use for the number sequence at all)
what is the reason for the 13 at the end?

January 7, 2009
4:52 pm
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 12

It's possible the code was put in based on an earlier version of the DVD text.  There are often last-minute editorial changes before publication, and sometimes the left hand may not know what the right hand has done.

January 8, 2009
10:16 am
Fishie

I think the 13 shows that it's a loop of sorts...

January 8, 2009
10:08 pm
Miral

Note: all the number pressing is actually a backdoor entry to the eggs, and will only work on certain players (it's not something that's required by the DVD standard).

The true solution to the eggs (which should work on every player) involves pressing the right combination of arrow keys (and then enter) during the countdown.  I'll leave the exact sequence of arrow keys and where they come from as an exercise for the reader   (And yes, I do know it.)

Incidentally, on my PC-based player to get to the countdown in the first place I actually have to click the screen at the right moment — pressing the DVD ENTER button doesn't accomplish anything.  (And in actual fact there's another backdoor to the eggs for PC users: clicking the exact right spot in the countdown screens [and it's different for each screen] will also get you in.)

January 8, 2009
10:32 pm
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 26

Um... just tell us?

Some of us have never been able to get the eggs to work properly on a DVD player. So if you know, please do share.

January 10, 2009
11:34 am
DblTap

Shmuel over on Wedonesque concluded that 2.7.12.13.66.68.81.86.89.103.13 translates to “ethanshlsaa”.

I decided that the drop back to “13″ indicated the second sentence, which changes the translation to “ethanshlsae”. This keeps with Shmuel's other observation that each number matches the next instance of each letter, and there are no more “e”s in the first sentence.

But then I noticed that if you lose a letter from between 81 and 86.. say spell “whose” as “who's” (which may have been the case before editorial) then the translation is “EthanShafte”, which is somewhat close to Ethan Shaftel, the coordinator of the special features and Easter eggs on the DVD.

The mystery of the missing “L” (or should that be missing 37) remains unsolved.

January 12, 2009
6:19 pm
Miral

a1tiptop said:

Um… just tell us?

Some of us have never been able to get the eggs to work properly on a DVD player. So if you know, please do share.

Pat just blatantly gave two of the three away, so it's kinda redundant now.  The third should be obvious after that.

January 12, 2009
11:11 pm
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 26

Who's Pat?

Sorry, but the only solution I can see is the one with the number pad and that doesn't work with any of the three DVD players I've tried it on OR my laptop!

So could someone please post the solution where you press the arrow keys? That looks like the only one that will ever work for me.

Have pity on someone who's tried to get this working since 22nd December!

January 13, 2009
4:50 am
Member of the ELE
Forum Posts: 110

I find it hilarious the ways that Joss will go to make fans happy and confused at the same time. 

I am The Green Dragon I leave no trail behind. I go about my evil deeds without stressing my mind. No one has ever caught up to me as they say. Then again people fear me more and more each day.
January 13, 2009
7:08 am
Miral

a1tiptop said:

Who's Pat?

Sorry, but the only solution I can see is the one with the number pad and that doesn't work with any of the three DVD players I've tried it on OR my laptop!

Two other threads, right next to this one.  (They're not hard to find, this forum isn't very big.)

January 18, 2009
7:35 pm
Forum Posts: 2

My favorite appears only to members of a certain sub-culture:

January 24, 2009
1:23 pm
Tabbycat

My remote doesn't have an \"enter\" button, only \"Play.\"   Which means I can see only one of the 3 easter eggs.  Why hide content that at least some viewers can't access?   I paid for the DVD & feel a bit cheated. 

Would someone please just post the other 2 easter eggs (that don't require \"enter\") on YouTube so the rest of us can enjoy them?      Thanks.

January 25, 2009
9:25 am
Miral

Tabbycat said:

My remote doesn't have an “enter” button, only “Play.”   Which means I can see only one of the 3 easter eggs.  Why hide content that at least some viewers can't access?   I paid for the DVD & feel a bit cheated. 

Would someone please just post the other 2 easter eggs (that don't require “enter”) on YouTube so the rest of us can enjoy them?      Thanks.

Whatever button you use on your remote to activate the menu options will also work to activate the eggs.  You just need to get the timing exactly right (it's a very short window) and remember that the \"pressing numbers\" thing is not the way to solve them.

January 29, 2009
9:07 am
Marta

DaPieRat said:

My favorite appears only to members of a certain sub-culture:

It appears also if you go quickly from the ELE application videos to the main menu and back.

January 31, 2009
9:54 am
Quzar

Like the above user LordKorax, I wondered if the barcode was involved in this. I don't know if it is, but according to a handy barcode scanner it was encoded plaintext reading: \"87VTL\".

February 3, 2009
12:19 pm
Abbey Marie

I found this solution on another website and every one of them worked for me:

Easter Egg #1

a. Activate the Wiccan subtitles and start watching “Dr. Horrible”
b. Wait for the “Wiccan” subtitles to get going…they soonish say, “Enter at 9780793529865″
c. The “9780793529865″ when plugged directly into Google comes up with an ISBN for Mariah Carey's “Music Box” album. 
d. In the second “Making Of” featurette, the “The Music” featurette, Felicia Day says at some point that she sometimes sounds like “Mariah Carey.” Hit the “enter” button on your DVD remote control right when Felicia says “Mariah Carey,” you suddenly see an Evil League of Evil countdown screen, counting down from 5 to 1 (if I remember correctly).

e. During the countdown, press 5 and enter, and watch the Evil League of Evil interviews. 

Easter egg #2:
a. Watch the credits for the Making of featurettes.
b. Look for all the yellow letters.
c. They spell out 'Enter at Act 2'
d. Play the movie and skip to the beginning of Act 2.
e. Hit enter as soon as the title comes up.
f. During the countdown, hit '5' and then enter.
g. Watch the HammerJoss.

Easter egg#3:
a. Go to scene selection.
b. In Act 2, there is a fake chapter called “Moist dries up”
c. This leads to another countdown.
d. Hit '6' and then enter.
e. Watch outtakes.

I hope this helps!

February 5, 2009
9:08 pm
Capt.Hammer Groupie
Forum Posts: 11